Pancake Day this year is on 16th February and although it falls on a different day each year is always on a Tuesday, known as Shrove Tuesday.
Traditionally it marks the beginning of the Lent season and reminds us that Easter will be here soon but nowadays it’s a day that many people celebrate regardless of its religious history. It’s a great opportunity to organise an easy cooking experience with the family.
Pancakes can be as simple or as exotic as you choose and with a platter of assorted fresh fruit and ice cream, you can be sure that it becomes a family favourite.
An easy Pancake recipe to make 6 pancakes. It’s a perfect pudding to prepare in advance and leave the mixture in the fridge until you need to use it.
• 100g plain flour
• 2 large eggs
• 300ml milk
• 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil, and a little extra for cooking
• A pinch of salt
• Some greaseproof paper
Optional: A fresh Lemon, caster sugar, golden syrup, assorted fruit purees, slice fresh fruit. Fresh cream or ice cream makes a lovely addition.
1. Put 100g plain flour, 2 large eggs, 300ml milk, 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil and a pinch of salt into a bowl or large jug, then whisk to a smooth batter. Add the milk gradually if you are using a hand whisk.
2. Choose a medium sized non-stick pan and wipe it with some oiled kitchen paper or pastry brush, then put it on a medium heat until it’s hot.
3. Gently pour some mixture into the pan and cook for about a minute on each side until it’s golden brown. You can stack your pancakes with a small piece of greaseproof paper between each one to keep them warm on an overproof plate on a low heat in the oven or leave them to cool and freeze them for another day.
4. Serve with lemon wedges or your favourite fruit or filling. For the sweet-tooth family members you can drizzle a small amount of golden syrup across the finished pancake.
This is considered an out of date browser. This website has been developed with modern browsers in mind to allow it to display at its best in a wide variety of viewing situations - including mobile viewing. But we haven't supported older browsers like IE8. Please upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer - or try Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Both are excellent browsers.
Head teacher: Liz Powell
Ashby de la Zouch
Tel: 01530 412243